Auriga Street tunnel

In 1859 the
Northampton to Market Harborough line which was based on a survey by Robert Stephenson was opened.
The line includes two tunnels: Kelmarsh Tunnel and Oxendon Tunnel.

In 1856 when line proposals were being discussed Ďat a cost of £100 a well-used public footpath at Little Bowden was ordered to be carried under the railway through an archway rather than across it on the levelí

The height of the foot tunnel was not more than 6 foot in the middle to deter it from becoming a bridle path, as well as keeping costs down.
 

This remained in use until the line was closed in 1981