|Harborough Museum opened in
1983 and had as its base a collection started locally in 1932. It is in
a building in Adam & Eve Street, which are also the offices of
Harborough District Council. From left to right the panel shows items
from the Museum.
The pattern is based on a Roman mosaic found in the Welland Valley.
The lady is wearing a corset (c. 1900s) made by R.& WH. Symington.
The owl and its family are wearing Liberty Bodices, a garment invented by Symingtons in 1908.
The children playing whip and top are representing one of the most recent local finds. A large4 group of 'street toys' (dating from around the 1620s) was discovered in a bricked up staircase in St. Dionysius Church.
The black and white logo is that of Haddon/Caxton type foundary started in the 19th century. They diversified and ended up making lead batteries for the motor industry.
The soles of shoes are from an advertisement for Harboro Rubber Co. The business started in 1894 to make shoe components, and now produces over 2000 different products for all sectors of industry.
Finally, Sym the Chef is tempting; you to try soup, made by W Symington.
|The Museum||Angela Newport||Angela Newport|